Sheep and goats can be such fun animals to raise and have so many functions on a farm. From goat milk to goat yoga, these fun little animals are a welcome appointment with any of our veterinarians. We are proud to offer your small ruminants:
Herd Health Evaluation Program –– details below
Deworming and Parasite Management
Contact Us for more information about services we can provide your sheep and goats!
HERD HEALTH EVALUATION PROGRAM
We'll help you get it right –– so you can enjoy what you do more.
Pineview Veterinary Hospital is proud to offer herd health evaluations to our cattle, sheep, goat, alpaca, and llama clients. This service encompasses all areas of managing the animals on your farm.
While on your farm, our doctors will discuss:
1. Your goals – are you a breeding farm who sells young animals? Do you raise animals for meat or milk? Are these pets or animals used for show/exhibition? Do you sell replacement heifers or young bulls? What is the main purpose of owning these animals, and how can we help you reach your goals?
2. Herd health – this includes visual evaluation of the animals’ body condition, skin problems, lameness issues, and ectoparasite problems. For an additional fee, we are happy to perform individual animal physical exams and diagnostic testing as needed.
3. Herd History – this includes where and how often you purchase new animals, where you typically sell animals, and if your animals travel for shows, exhibition, or breeding.
4. Pasture management – an assessment of the type and amount of land available in relation to the number of animals it supports. Soil and forage testing are available for an additional fee.
5. Nutrition – grain, hay, protein supplements, and mineral programs are all reviewed for efficacy and efficiency. Forage testing is available for an additional fee.
6. Vaccination program– the type of vaccines used, their storage between uses, route of administration, and frequency.
Once this initial evaluation is complete, our doctors will discuss their thoughts about your current program, and make recommendations for changes to improve your animals' health based on your specific goals. We can create a processing protocol for treating and vaccinating incoming animals. If you are having problems with disease, we can recommend a change in vaccine or housing that may improve your herd. Or we can adjust your nutrition program to account for over- or under-conditioned animals.
Contact Us to schedule an appointment for a Herd Health Evaluation.
*By law, the FDA requires a valid client-patient-veterinarian relationship for veterinarians to prescribe medications. This is defined as one of the doctors in the practice having seen the animal(s) in the last year.